Thursday, August 20, 2009

Intrepid volunteer journeys through Africa by Tracy Pillay

I was asked a question the other day, “If you could go anywhere just now, where would it be?” Imagine you have a teleporter, plenty of cash, and no time constraints and it doesn't even have to be this planet. Besides being awe struck with a dream coming true, I suddenly realised wouldn’t there reach a point where I would get tired of it. I am human after all. So being content with teleporting, money and no time constraints would not be enough.

So why would it not be enough? I think by being a citizen of earth, we have a responsibility to humanity. We are living in time when innocent children maybe fortunate to eat one meal a day, or die of illnesses that are treatable; due to lack of resources. One of the greatest traits my parents taught me as a child was to serve others. Now as an adult serving has transformed into volunteering.

As the Africa Programs Coordinator I have the opportunity to connect with many driven volunteers wanting to make an impact in Africa. Funnily enough wouldn’t a teleporter be a useful tool right about now? It would definitely save money, protect the environment and spare jet lag. Teleporters aside, these amazing individuals are assisting local communities in need through volunteering.

They have selflessly invested their personal money, time and skills to serve the poor and vulnerable. I view volunteering as a two way process for both volunteers and communities they work with. As a volunteer you are challenged by a different culture, various global issues and the way you view life. On the flip side of the coin, you leave behind shared experiences, knowledge, skills and most importantly connection.

Below is a glimpse of some experiences from our Intrepid Africa Volunteers, who volunteered through Global Volunteer Network.

Kathryn Taubert from Florida, United States, volunteered in the Ghana Community Program.

“My work with the CBO has been productive. Within a week, we identified a plan for the Village that will, hopefully, meet their long-term and short-term needs. It quickly became apparent that they’ve seen many projects come with a flourish, then die on the vine for lack of long-range planning to make them self-sustaining.

...So our plan is twofold: by the end of my stay here, we will have drafted a long-range plan which provides two income streams for the village: one for their immediate needs from grants and individual donations, and a longer-term one from eventual profit villagers realize by establishing small businesses through “micro-financing“ loans. Both sources of funds will be “seed” money: intended to get them started so that they can become, eventually, totally self-sufficient.”

Kathryn reflects on her time in Ghana: “Not having enough to be frivolous when one wants is one thing, but not having enough to survive is, indeed, another. The majority of people here are gracious, hospitable. But they are, after all, human too. We’re not so different. What amazes me is that these people aren’t MORE cynical, jealous, and envious. What they lack in “stuff“, they more than make up for in heart. One can never have too much of that.”


Minna Kathrine Larsen is from Denmark. She volunteered twice in the Ghana Teaching Program.

“I went to Ghana for the first time May 7th 2008 and stayed for three months, teaching English and Mathematics to 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade at St. Monica's Prep School. My initial fear of travelling so far away from home was put to shame right away.

The first thing any Ghanaian will tell you when he or she first meets you is “you are welcome!” Never have I met such warm and kind-hearted people! Teaching was so much fun and my kids made me so proud every single day. They are so smart, always happy and so excited that you are there as a volunteer.

I went to Ghana to make a difference in the lives of others, but as it turned out, Ghana and Ghanaians rather made a huge difference in my life. I walked away with a whole new outlook on life, as a matured and wiser person and most importantly I walked away with the greatest friends in the world and a whole new family.”




Michael Seddon from Australia volunteered in the Ethiopia program.

“Before I left for Ethiopia the question that kept appearing in my mind was 'can volunteering really make a difference?'. Now, having returned from my one month volunteer teaching and traveling in Ethiopia I am sure it will.

The Mercy Ministry Home provides the opportunity not just for the current children in the home but for the future children of Ethiopia. With volunteer support these current children will grow up, have successful lives and in turn be able to support future children through programs like these.

Personally, as I am sure you will if you decide to volunteer, I feel rewarded and privileged to have been able to help in the education of these children. Even in such a short period I could see lifelong skills being learnt mainly due to the passion and desire these children have to learn.”



Ashley Lesperance an anthropology student at the University of Massachusetts Amherst in the US, volunteered in the Rwanda program.

“I was asked by a new volunteer after I had been there for a month, "When did you become adjusted to the culture shock?" and I noticed then that Rwanda and the people had been so welcoming and so friendly, that I hadn't experienced any culture shock and felt genuinely comfortable and at home almost immediately.

I had signed up to stay for a month and two weeks into my trip, I extended my trip by an extra month because I loved it so much. I taught English at an orphanage for street boys and loved every second of the experience. The staff and children were extremely welcoming and made me feel like a member of their family.

The country is absolutely gorgeous and the people are, as the other volunteers and I can attest to, welcoming and affectionate and anyone will quickly make many Rwandan friends. I miss Rwanda and the people I met there every day. It was by far the best experience I have ever had. I can't wait to get back there someday”


Cristina Klosterman from the US volunteered in the Uganda program

“I am a cautious person who was not that adventurous. I don’t like bugs, getting dirty, or going without my little luxuries. I never go camping because I am not into the outdoors. I love children, I love helping, and I love traveling. I decided to do something different. I combined my dislikes and my loves, step outside of my little comfort bubble, and went to Uganda.

I was placed with YOFAFO and my position was to help teach at a Children’s Village. Here I was thinking, “I can help these kids! I can change their lives in some small way! I can make a difference!” Turns out, I was the one who was changed. I fell in love with those kids. I fell in love with the whole country! The people were very friendly, hospitable, and generous. I have never been thanked so many times for just being there.

The Real Uganda and YOFAFO are really making a difference in Uganda. My next step is to raise money for the school where I taught. The kids are slowly but surely getting their permanent school buildings built, but there is still one temporary structure left to replace. I am hoping to raise enough money to build that building, and then when I go back, I can see my kids learning in their new classroom. Living and volunteering in Uganda has shown me that there is a whole other world out there and has inspired me to explore it. I plan on doing a lot of traveling in the future.”

















Mark Russell from Ireland, volunteered in the South Africa youth program.


“I was placed in the secondary school, which was a few minutes’ walk from the house. I had never taught before, so I was a little nervous to begin with, but not for long… I taught maths and science, and talked to the learners about Ireland & western culture. It was exam time during my first few weeks, so I also helped out the teachers as much as I could, for example by teaching them some excel skills to speed up their marking process.

It was coming up to the winter break for the schools, so I worked closely with the teachers & with ZOTE to run a winter school program. This presented a new set of challenges for me, and I had to work hard to get the learners motivated to attend, as this was a first for the school. All the work paid off though, we had a really fun winter school program, and even managed to fit a party and a dance competition in there! The learners loved the dancing, and they loved watching the volunteers embarrassingly trying to join in! It was not all fun and games though, the level of some learners English and performance in other subjects was challenging. Although experiencing and being part of this vibrant culture was undoubtedly one of the most exciting & fun filled things I have ever done, there were a lot of heartbreaking truths too. There are to name a few; families here who live in poverty and/or ill health, kids who have fought their way over the border from Zimbabwe for a better life and the general low level of education within the community. I would often get very upset hearing these stories, but they are a part of the experience and after all, the reason why volunteers are needed to help in this area.

In Venda it is usually about food, family, health; certainly no one worries about stock prices or celebrity gossip. Perceptions and priorities are much different in South Africa, things I took for granted at home are hard fought for privileges in Venda. I have been back home in Ireland for a few weeks now, settling back in was like reverse culture shock! It may sound clichéd but the experience was one that has changed my life, I will miss my host family & all my friends… I will be back in Venda though, that’s for sure.”


No doubt the connections and experiences have been life changing for these volunteers. They have made an imprint in the communities they have worked in. These imprints will create a chain reaction that will improve the lives of the poor and vulnerable.

If you are interested in being part of this experience either through volunteering or support, please visit our website www.volunteer.org.nz

No comments: