Monday, March 10, 2008

Volunteer Journal - Sarah Pentney

Introducing Sarah Pentney, a 23 year-old Carleton University graduate from Ottawa, Canada. With a degree in Public Affairs and Policy Management, Sarah wrote an Honours thesis focusing on HIV/AIDS policies in Uganda and South Africa. "As soon as I saw the GVN Mukono Town Council Project I knew that I wanted to get involved somehow!" said Sarah.

Read all about Sarah's experience in Uganda through her online journal:

End of the RoadSo this is the end of the road for me in Uganda! This Wednesday was our last day at school and it was sad to say goodbye, but we certainly went out with a bang. We did crafts and had a party with all the kids during the morning, which was tiring but fun (as always).

In the afternoon Heather and I went back to school because the kids put on a show for us - they sang, danced, drummed and gave gifts - it was great!! I took a video of some of the performances so I promise to share those when I get home. Saying goodbye to the teachers and the kids was really tough - I have grown really attached to so many of them, and it is hard leaving them not knowing what the future holds for so many of them. One of the teachers started to cry when she hugged me goodbye and I almost lost it - they have all been so amazing to us, and to know that I won't see them everyday really does break my heart.

It is really weird to think about going home in some ways, because as much as you don't know what to expect when you arrive, everything about Uganda quickly and easily becomes your "new normal". Everyone has been asking me whether or not I am sad to be leaving, and the answer is yes, of course I am sad to leave Uganda. But the truth is, I did exactly what I set out to do and have done everything I wanted to do here, so I can leave happy.

I have met the most amazing people (both Ugandan and mzungu) and just fallen in love with this place. I highly recommend the experience, and definitely plan to volunteer again in Uganda. So even though this experience is coming to an end, I know that it will not be my last experience in Africa. This experience has only made me realize that the world is smaller than we think, and if there is anyone who is unsure of whether or not to take the chance to come to Africa, all I can say to you is DO IT!! It has been, hands down, the best thing I have ever done, and the most rewarding experience of my life so far - I loved every minute!!
Find out more about volunteering in Uganda at the following link:

No comments: